CMC Webinar: World Refugee Day
Thursday, 20 June 2019, 11:00 am EST
On World Refugee Day, held every year on 20 June, we honor the strength, courage and perseverance of millions of refugees. Join this Caribbean Migration Consultations (CMC) webinar in commemoration of World Refugee Day to learn more about the asylum system in the Cayman Islands and the practical tools and resources that UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, created at the request of Caribbean countries to support the development of national asylum systems.
Key aspects of the webinar include:
- An introduction to the UNHCR Global Trends Report, released every year on World Refugee Day.
- Presentation and discussion of two CMC tools, Technical Guidance for the Development of Refugee Legislation in the Caribbean and the Checklist for a Comprehensive Asylum System, and the opportunity to suggest other tools or resources that would be useful for the CMC.
- Presentation by the Cayman Islands on matters relating to their asylum system and refugee protection, providing an opportunity for information sharing and exchange of good practices within the region.
- Mr. Christopher Eakin, Cayman Islands Ministry of Employment and Border Control, Chief Legal Affairs Officer.
- Ms. Amaria Belaskri, UNHCR, Acting Head of the Caribbean Protection Unit.
- Ms. Julia Hanby, UNHCR, Caribbean Relations Associate.