- 24-25 September 2018
- Montego Bay, Jamaica
In response to the participant countries’ acknowledgement of data as a priority for migration governance in the region, and through the generous support of the United States Department of State, Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration, a Workshop on Migration Data Collection and Management will be held in Montego Bay, Jamaica 24-25 September 2018. The International Organization for Migration and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, in collaboration with the Government of Jamaica, will bring together representatives of the national migration agencies and statistical institutes to advance the understanding and utilization of migration-related data in migration, refugee protection and development policy.
The workshop will have three primary objectives:
1. Analyze migration data needs within the context of the Sustainable Development Agenda, the Global Compact for Migration, and Global Compact on Refugees
a. Introduce context of migration data globally and regionally.
b. Present existing and upcoming initiatives in migration data collection and analysis.
c. Identify challenges and opportunities in migration data within the Global Compact on Migration and the Agenda 2030 Sustainable Development Goals framework.
2. Share migration data management best practices.
a. Identify means, resources and good practices.
3. Review and develop mechanisms to improve migration data collection, analysis and sharing.
The training will be facilitated by the Government of Jamaica and the International Organization for Migration. Presentations will be provided by the Government of Jamaica, IOM, UNHCR, regional organizations, and experts from participant countries. The workshop will be structured in a series of plenary and breakout sessions.
The event is oriented to:
- Representatives in a decision-making, policy planning, and training capacity from the Directorate of Migration, Immigration, or Border Management agency.
- Representatives from the central national statistics or development agency in a lead and decision-making capacity.